Home > Certification > CPIA > Eligibility
The certification program is for individuals participating in and overseeing the daily activities associated with an IACUC, although other individuals involved in IACUC activities who meet the following eligibility requirements are also eligible to take the examination.
- A bachelor’s degree plus two (2) years of relevant IACUC experience within the past seven (7) years*,
OR Four (4) years of relevant IACUC experience within the past seven (7) years*;
- Completion and filing of an Application for the Certification Examination for Professional IACUC Administrators;
- Payment of required fee.
Applicants must also complete and file the Application for the Certification Examination for Professional IACUC Administrators.
*Relevant IACUC experience must have been substantial and ongoing, and must show the applicant's commitment to the area of animal care and use. Qualifying experience requires performance of IACUC functions including the following:
- Facility and program review
- Applying regulations to the review of activities
- Supporting and/or serving as a resource during IACUC meetings
- Preparing IACUC correspondence and/or documentation
- Managing the office that provides support to the IACUC
- Training investigators, staff, and IACUC members
- Serving as an advisor to investigators, staff, and IACUC members
- Developing IACUC policies and procedures
- Overseeing others in the performance of these activities
IACUC chairs and organizational officials who perform these functions may be appropriate candidates for certification. Service as an IACUC member may not, in and of itself, be sufficient to fulfill the experience requirements.
For further information, please contact the Professional Testing Corporation (PTC) by e-mail or telephone at 212.356.0660.
Please contact us via email or telephone at 617.423.4112, ext. 0. Thank you!