Public Responsibility in Medicine and Research (PRIM&R) advances the highest ethical standards in the conduct of biomedical, behavioral, and social science research. We accomplish this mission through education, membership services, professional certification, public policy initiatives, and community building.
PRIM&R envisions a world in which all stakeholders in the research enterprise share an understanding of and commitment to the centrality of ethics to advancing science and medicine, as exemplified through research policies and practices that align with the highest ethical standards in research.
Values exemplify what actions and behaviors the organization is trying to model, as well as those that it hopes its community will embrace. PRIM&R’s core values are as follows:
- Community: We foster collaboration and connection, and create an inclusive and supportive environment for our staff, members, and volunteers.
- Citizenship: We are mindful of our responsibility to our community and our world, and act purposefully to meet our obligations to both.
- Diversity: We encourage and cultivate a climate of awareness, inclusiveness, and respect in everything we do, and we value and celebrate any and all differences among our staff and constituents.
- Excellence: We establish and adhere to high standards of performance in all that we do.
- Innovation: We actively seek out and implement forward-looking ideas and strategies in order to be nimble, flexible, and proactive.
- Impact: Our work aligns policies and practices at all levels with the highest ethical standards in research.
- Integrity: Our policies and practices support our mission, and we are committed to being a transparent and ethical organization.
- Leadership: Through our work, we guide the field toward a future in which all stakeholders in the research enterprise understand and share a commitment to the centrality of ethics to advancing science.
- Respect: We honor the contributions of subjects to research, the commitment of scientists to advancing knowledge, and the efforts of all those who support responsible research and serve as a bridge between subjects and scientists.